Debugging Critical Section lockups

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Wed Nov 30 06:35:02 CST 2005

I may have a repeatable case of an error in locking critical sections,
so I'd like some pointers as to how to debug this.

The case occurs with the installer for Delorme Street Atlas 5 - on my
2GHz Athlon desktop it runs without a hitch, but on my oooooold slow
laptop (how old is it? It's sooooo old, it used PIO for the disk!) the
program locks up 100% of the time at startup, with 2 threads trying to
take different critical section locks and dying. It looks like the
standard deadlock condition: one thread tries to lock A-B-C, the other
tries to lock A-C-B, and so they deadlock.

Are there any tricks to identifying who locked what where and in what order?