Does the Windows version of Mozilla need to be installed to use the Mozilla ActiveX plugin?

Jacek Caban jack at itma.pwr.wroc.pl
Wed Nov 30 14:46:32 CST 2005

Hello.

Aric Cyr wrote:

 >David D. Hagood <david.hagood <at> aeroflex.com> writes:
 >

 >>Does the Windows version of Mozilla need to be in place for the Mozilla
 >>Active X control to work, or is there a way to point the control at my
 >>Linux install of Mozilla?

Mozilla ActiveX Control doesn't need any version of Mozilla. It just uses
Gecko (Mozilla's engine), which is provided with it, so you don't have
to install anything else.

 >There was talk about using a native Mozilla instead of a win32
version, however
 >I don't think that was ever finished, or was deemed too difficult.

Not really. It even was implemented and working, but it is
impossible to do it  in an acceptable way for Wine. That's
because we don't have a good way to embed Gecko's window
inside a Wine window. You may read about it here:
http://www.winehq.org/?issue=285#MSHTML%20Update

Jacek