Stop-ship 0.9 problem

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sat Oct 1 23:42:34 CDT 2005

Saturday, October 1, 2005, 10:21:21 PM, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> I'd argue that it's not a Wine problem/bug at all, we can do nothing to improve
> hinting support in FreeType. And crippling Crossover (by making it differ with
> WineHQ for no good reason) because of that is not a way to go IMO.
I would strongly disagree. Wine is not a CrossOver Office. We all do appreciate
what you guys doing for wine. But this is an open source project and there is no
good reasons to brake it so Crossover can use the same piece of code with extra
additions.
Or having barely readable fonts is not a good enough reason for you?

> In any case if a Wine user wants to see correctly displayed TrueType fonts with
> correct document layout (as it depends on the rendered glyph metrics) he/she
> has to use patented FreeType. And that's for sure the problem of a Linux distro
> vendor who must take care of it.
That doesn't help either. Just as a test, I copied windows fonts and they were
looking same bad. So this _is_ a wine problem and please don't shift the blame
around.

Bottom line we have to fix. Users started to complain immediately after 20050930
was out. Even if it's not 100% correct we still cant cripple the Wine with such
an ugly fonts.

Vitaliy