wcmd unusable when DISPLAY not set. Again.

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:16:31 CDT 2005

It's been a year or so since my last complaint, time
to complain again!

wcmd is currently unusable when DISPLAY is not set.

Normally, you can do
  programs/wcmd/wcmd
and get a nice DOS prompt.  However, if you do
  unset DISPLAY
  programs/wcmd/wcmd
you get a nonfunctional DOS prompt; for each keystroke,
it gives you a new prompt.   Pressing ^C terminates wine,
and leaves stdin in raw mode.  This makes it really friggin' hard to
use batch files
in a cron job or any other situation where you don't have X
available.  (And *please* don't tell me to set up a fake X server
for this; that should simply not be needed. )

I get pissed off about this every time I run into it, and
I'm getting tired of having to figure this out over and over
again.  Grr, grr, grr.  Maybe I should figure out how to make
a regression test for this so the next time somebody breaks
it, I'm not the first person to notice.