Release plans

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Sun Oct 2 16:07:41 CDT 2005

Alexandre Julliard schreef:
> Folks,
>
> I just released 20050930, this should be considered the pre-0.9
> release, so please give it some good testing. In particular, please
> test the things that new users will encounter first, like the
> automatic .wine creation and winecfg.
>
> Even if you normally build from source, please for once try the
> binary package for your distro and check if you spot anything the
> packager is doing wrong.

I'm a Gentoo user, and when I installed the package, I received the
following rather alarming message at the end of the output (end of
compile and beginning of merge included so you can see where it falls,
but you'll easily be able to identify the message I'm talking about):

make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/work/wine-20050930/tools/wrc'
../tools/mkinstalldirs -m 755
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/bin
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//us
r/share/man/man1
/bin/install -c   ./winemaker
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/bin/winemaker
/bin/install -c  -m 644  ./winemaker.man
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/share/man/man1/winemaker.1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/work/wine-20050930/tools'
./tools/mkinstalldirs -m 755
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/share/aclocal
mkdir -m 755 -p -- /var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/share/aclocal
/bin/install -c  -m 644  ./aclocal.m4
/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/share/aclocal/wine.m4
/bin/true
The installed Wine libraries will not be found!
You can either:
   Add the line '/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/lib' to
/etc/ld.so.conf and run /sbin/ldconfig
   export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/lib
man:
fixing man page symlink: wineg++.1.gz
removing old symlink: wineg++.1
gzipping man page: winedbg.1
gzipping man page: winegcc.1
gzipping man page: wmc.1
gzipping man page: wrc.1
gzipping man page: winebuild.1
gzipping man page: winemaker.1
gzipping man page: widl.1
gzipping man page: wine.1
gzipping man page: wineserver.1
gzipping man page: winedump.1
prepallstrip:
strip: i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded
strip: i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded
   usr/bin/wmc
   usr/bin/wrc
   usr/bin/widl
   usr/bin/wine
   usr/bin/wineserver
   usr/bin/winebuild
   usr/bin/wine-pthread
   usr/bin/wine-kthread
   usr/bin/winedump
   usr/bin/winegcc
   usr/bin/wine-preloader
   usr/lib/wine/mapi32.dll.so

There are a number of problems with this instruction:

1) Many users won't see it, since many users prefer not to watch their
output (certainly not for long compiles like Wine), and if they don't
have a long scrollback buffer like I do, the only thing they will see is
that the emerge completed successfully (so they will not do this step,
with unknown consequences);

2) This message is not an einfo (thus not present in the ebuild, it is,
of course in the emerge.log file for this emerge); it
appears to be generated by the compile process itself, so I'm unsure if
it's an ebuild problem or a global compilation problem. Further, I
have no indication whatsoever whether the Portage performed this
operation on my behalf or not;

3) The directory /var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930 does not exist on my
system (which is abnormal in and of itself, as directories from all
other Wine emerges do exist in /var/tmp/portage, as do directories for
all other applications I've emerged), and even if it did, if the emerge
completed successfully, there should be no files remaining in
/var/tmp/portage/whatever, since a successful emerge leaves only a /temp
directory containing a .keep file and a eclass-debug.log file (at least
that's what's left in all the other /var/tmp/portage/wine-version
directories I do have on my system). So I cannot even follow this
instruction after the emerge is completed (which would be my first
opportunity to do so), as the files I'm supposed to update my
environment with no longer exist at the location I'm asked to use.

I don't even know how to debug this-- or even if it needs debugging-- as
I don't know how to tell the difference between how Wine would act if
the libraries cannot be found because of a lack of this update, and how
Wine acts when the environment has been correctly updated.

I don't know if this is a flaw in the Gentoo emerge process, or the Wine
compilation, or even if it's a problem at all (maybe the environment has
been updated properly, but I got this message anyway, in error).

And if it needs to be fixed (i.e., if I do need to add information to
/etc/ld.so.conf), I don't know what to add.

At this point, I've got Wine installed, but haven't even tried firstrun,
as I don't know if my install is good or not, or whether I might cause
even more obfuscation by running wine, winecfg, or by attempting to
actually use Wine to install something.

Can anyone clarify what's going on here, and whether I'm worrying
unnecessarily or not?

Thanks,
Holly