Stop-ship 0.9 problem

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun Oct 2 23:18:37 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 09:17 +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

> 1. As far as I know licensing patented hinting technology from Apple
> is a 1 time cost, and not huge amount of money at all.

This makes no difference, as it will not allow others to redistribute
the distro, which makes it a non-options for shops like RedHat.

> 2. Europe has said no software patents, so I see this thread a bit
> rediculus when most peolple who argues for crippling Wine instead of
> enabling the hinter live in Europe.

Sorry Dmitry, but to me it seems ridiculous to argue against a fairly
well known fact. The AA TrueType fonts has been an ongoing problem for
_years_ with no solution in sight, whereas our Wine 0.9 release should
be available in a matter of weeks. Given the short time frame, it's not
an option to change they way the world works to conform to our liking.

It's just not gonna happen. At most we can hope for is to piss a lot of
people off and look like we don't have a sense of reality.

> Have you asked your Linux vendor to enable/license truetype hinter in
> FreeType? If not yet, it's time to do so.

This has been brought up many times (at least on RH related lists).
It is not an option, and for good reasons. Let's just deal with it,
and run like bandits :)

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.