headless question, and IPC question

Ken Larson x1 at larsontechnologies.com
Mon Oct 3 01:48:06 CDT 2005

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Mike McCormack" <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>>It looks like the only dependency is from the PostMessageA in
>>dlls/winsock/async.c #514.
>>
>>The windows version of ws2_32.dll does not link to user32.dll however,
>>it appears to load it on demand.   I can see the following strings in it:
>>
>>USER32.dll
>>TranslateMessage
>>PeekMessageA
>>PostMessageA
>>DispatchMessageA
>>
>>Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to change the PostMessageA to
>>LoadLibrary/GetProcAddres.
>
> depends.exe shows that ws2_32 has a delay load dependency on user32.
> We have to move user32 to a delay loaded section as well in our version.

So do I interpret this to mean there is a plan to change this in wine?
That would be great.

The proprietary DLL I call also uses winsock, I do not know whether
synchronous or asynchronous, but is it then true that even if this
dependency were changed to "delay", that if the DLL I'm calling opens an
async socket (which uses a (non-visible) window handle for the
notifications), that wine would require the X windows display at that
point and fail anyway?

Thanks,

Ken