Release plans

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Mon Oct 3 03:57:46 CDT 2005

Le dimanche 02 octobre 2005 à 15:45 -0600, Brian Vincent a écrit :
> > I don't even know how to debug this-- or even if it needs debugging-- as
> > I don't know how to tell the difference between how Wine would act if
> > the libraries cannot be found because of a lack of this update, and how
> > Wine acts when the environment has been correctly updated.
>
> My $.02 is if you're crazy enough to use a distro that requires
> everything to be compiled from scratch, then you better be capable of
> understanding everything that entails.  The same goes for anyone
> compiling Wine from source.  If that means editing /etc/ld.so.conf so
> the linker can find your libraries, then so be it.  Otherwise, it's
> best to stick with the binaries.
>
> Maybe we need to collect things like this into a "Release Notes" page
> on the wiki?  In this case it would look something like, "GENTOO
> USERS: After placing the bullets in the chamber, pointing the gun at
> your foot, and typing emerge you'll need to make some small changes.
> As root, type "(echo '/usr/local/lib' >> /etc/ld.so.conf) && ldconfig
> -v".
>
> WTF is with /var/tmp/portage/wine-20050930/image//usr/lib ...

Gentoo builds everything in some sandbox in /var/tmp and then copies
everything in the right places. Wine seems to think files will stay in
that directory altough they won't. However I'm quite sure everything
will work as expected.

IMO you should open a bug in gentoo's bugzilla telling them to apply a
patch that removes this warning before to build wine as this warning
doesn't apply to gentoo users.

Altough it can seem crazy to compile everything from scratch, I never
had to fix any paths in ld.so.conf under gentoo; if something works well
under gentoo, that'd be the emerge process configuration update tool.

Bye,