USB support for wine, status?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Oct 4 07:41:40 CDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Kai Blin wrote:
[...]
>> What USB support does your game need?
>
> Joystick support. It's a Logitech ADI joystick.
>
>> The bug is WONTFIX. It needs a Linux driver and we should interface
>> Wine to it (in the scanner case via TWAIN and SANE).
>
> So this should be handled on case by case basis then?

Wine has (at least some) linuxinput support. There was even work to add
force feedback support this summer. So the way to go is to make the
joystick work with the Linux kernel's linuxinput subsystem and then Wine
should be able to just use it.

That's the standard pattern: a kernel driver interfaces with the
hardware (e.g. a specific joystick make/model), the kernel provides a
standard interface for interacting with a class of hardware (input
devices, e.g. joysticks), and applications (e.g. Wine) use that
interface to access any device in that class, without having to worry
about their make or model.

This is a much superior approach to the old 'each application must
provide its own driver for each device' that was required in the old DOS
times.

                   A black hole is just God dividing by zero.