Documentation of Parallel and Serial port configuration?

paul pgr at arcelectronicsinc.com
Tue Oct 4 11:02:57 CDT 2005

Juan Lang wrote:
> Hi Holly, there's no UI to do this yet, as you found out.
>
> By default, you don't need to do any config, at least on Linux.  COM1
> defaults to /dev/ttyS0, COM2 to /dev/ttyS1, and so on.  LPT1 defaults to
> /dev/lp0.. you get the idea.
>
> If you want to change it, you can create a link in .wine/dosdevices from,
> say, com1 to the device you want it to use.  So if for example you wanted
> com1 to be /dev/cua0, you should have this in dosdevices:
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 juan juan 9 Oct  4 08:15 com1 -> /dev/cua0
>
> Hope that helps,
> --Juan
>

> __________________________________
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Also it would be nice to include any info as to the status of using the
parallel port to interface into devices like:
dongles with are a software unlock key.
eprom programmers which require a special driver on NT to access the
hardware.

I think the current status is that it will not work or I have not found
the correct solution.

Several years ago I had my programmer and one other device working with
dosemu and or bochs but after I updated from Mandrake 8.2 I think I have
not been able to get it working again. I think the kernel has changed on
hardware access and will require special driver to allow simulated
direct hardware access.

Paul