Documentation of Parallel and Serial port configuration?

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Oct 5 14:59:43 CDT 2005

> Several years ago I had my programmer and one other device working with
> dosemu and or bochs but after I updated from Mandrake 8.2 I think I have
> not been able to get it working again. I think the kernel has changed on
> hardware access and will require special driver to allow simulated
> direct hardware access.

man ioperm 2

You can use it via a suid-root wrapper program that acquires the port access,
drops privileges and executes your wine programs. Works for me. Of course it
doesn't work if the windows program needs the special driver to talk to the
device. It does work for those old-style windows95 applications that expect
to be able to talk to the ports directly.

Cheers, Kuba