WINE Regression due to patch applied Feb 22, 2005 10:50 CDT

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 00:17:55 CDT 2005

On 10/8/05, Arren Lex <arrenlex at msn.com> wrote:
> I've just finished regression testing WINE using the instructions at
> http://winehq.com/site/docs/wine-devel/x1375
>
> One of my favourite applications, the open-source and freeware KeyNote,
> available at http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html , experienced a
> regression between WINE 20050211 and 20050310. I've been too lazy to
> regression test it for a long time, preferring simply to use an older
> version of wine, but in honour of WINE's pending non-alpha release I went
> ahead and tested it.
>
> Keynote used to run perfectly under WINE <=20050211, but after 20050310, it
> doesn't launch: it spits out the error message "Exception EAccessViolation
> in module kernel32.dll at 0004FF5D. Access violation at address 404DFF5D in
> module 'kernel32.dll'. Read of address 00000000." and quits. This regression
> still exists in the latest version of WINE.
>
> I found WINE's ability to run the application was broken between 20050222
> 10:50:10 CDT and 20050222 10:50:15 CDT. Watching the output of 'cvs update',
> it seems three files were modified during these five seconds:
> U dlls/kernel/string.c
> U dlls/shell32/shell32.spec
> U include/winbase.h
>
> I don't know which one is the culprit; I'm not a programmer. I just hope
> I've given you guys enough information to fix it!
>
> Keep WINE alive. It's an awesome utility.
>
> P.S. Is there some sort of list of patches and when they were applied? The
> regression testing page above doesn't link to one (maybe it should!) and I
> wasn't able to find one I could check against.

The patch that changed these files is:

ChangeSet ID:   16245
CVSROOT:        /opt/cvs-commit
Module name:    wine
Changes by:     julliard at wine.codeweavers.com   2005/02/22 09:50:14

Modified files:
       include        : winbase.h
       dlls/shell32   : shell32.spec
       dlls/kernel    : string.c

Log message:
       Mike McCormack <mike at codeweavers.com>
       Make lstr* functions inline inside Wine.

The way I check what patch changed certain files at certain time
intervals is cvs.winehq.org/cvsweb/wine and then the path to the file
in wine relative to the wine directory.

--
James Hawkins