D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Oct 10 15:29:11 CDT 2005

Hello,
> How do you handle the 'special' case Blits (between surface and texture,
> between surfaces, ...) ?
Well, I must admit that I don't have an totally detailed plan, but the DDraw
surface and the WineD3D surface share the same memory area. So those Blits
will be handled by the original DirectDraw surface implementation in any
case, and if a WineD3D surface is attached, the DDraw surface implemenation
updates the WineD3D surface whereever it might be necessary. I hope that I
can avoid extra memcpy()s

I don't know if there might occur any problems if DGA is used, and I can't
test it because DDraw DGA fails on my system for some reason.

> Well, for one, I would like to see first the big patch (or at least enough
> code to be able to see where this is going) before you start sending small
> self-contained patch to be able to have a big picture of where we are going
> and if it will work at the end (with all special cases a 2D / 3D mix
> entails).
Sure, that's my intention. This way, developers can test games and fix bugs.

I have the initialisation and Release working right now, and Empire Earth
starts up to a point where it tries to do some actual rendering and crashes
after a few stub calls. I am now working on getting the d3d light test
working.

Thanks for your feedback,
Stefan