Bugzilla administration policies

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 05:05:45 CDT 2005

Francois Gouget wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > Richard Cohen wrote:
> >> Metabugs are generally a bad idea because they are very hard to
> >> maintain. What is the point of "Get games working perfectly", and how
> >> can it ever be resolved?
> >
> > Who said it needs to be resolved, ever, or in any kind of near future?
> >
> > I see metabugs more as a categorization feature.
> > If you want an overview of all games that fail in Wine, go check out
> > that particular entry.
>
> Maybe this could be better done with the use of keywords. for instance
> we could have a 'game' keyword. Then one would find all these bugs by
> querying for bugs with the 'game' keyword.

Honestly, I think metabugs are better than keywords.

It's mainly a user interface thing.  Freetext keywords seem like this
really weird feature, which is not clearly represented in the UI, and
where the consequences of entering a particular keyword is not
especially clear.  I think that noone likes to use it (feel free to
correct me).

Metabugs are much more clear.  There's a descriptive text and
discussion page for the metabug, where people can discuss which bugs
really belong there, or whether this and that bug is related, or which
bugs are most critical and needs to be prioritized.

Keywords are also prone to spelling mistakes.  Enter "shell23" instead
of "shell32", noone will find the bug.  Metabugs are more "set in
stone", you just have to find the right bug id.  Not a big problem per
se, but might prevent people from wanting to use it.