D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 08:23:09 CDT 2005

--- Lionel Ulmer <lionel.ulmer at free.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:24:58PM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > WineD3D can't create a device without a Window. For DirectDraw and D3D7
> > running without a Window is valid, at least to a certain extent. The D3D
> > light test does so, and some games use this for some purposes. So I need to
> > do something for the case HWND == 0 or the d3d surface is not a primary
> > surface.
>
> Why not use the 'desktop' window to do it ? No idea what window will be used
> to display when not in Desktop mode (maybe the X root window ?).

Some of the code currently falls back to the desktop windows, and it looks like the X root windows
is the desktop window when wine isn't running in desktop mode.
We should only be using the desktop window if that's what Windows does, otherwise it could cause
problems with other areas of code that are expecting the desktop window to behave like the same as
it does on Windows.