Reality check

John Smith devel8421 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 15 10:54:33 CDT 2005

>Unfortunately, Wine is very incomplete
>in the sense that you don't have to look far to find lots of bugs.
>Because of this, we don't usually have the same sense of urgency
>as other projects to fix them -- there is an infinite stream of
>them just around the corner.
Sure; that's why I was really surprised when I was told that 'usually bugs
are fixed in 2 or 3 days'.

>While well intentioned, you came of as demanding
>stuff (bugs fixed, apologies, whatever).
Nope. I tried to get attention and I succeeded with it, though this kind of
'pay me' reaction was unexpected.

>As for your original proposal, the problem with it is that long term
>will hurt the project -- it will encourage people to work around bugs
>rather then help us fix them.
At least arguable. Looking from outside world, I would say that at current
stage WINE needs as much 3rd-party applications as possible. If this is
true, and given the (currently proven and admitted) fact that you guys do
have lots of stuff to do even without additional feedback, I'd say that
adding a regular workaround mechanism (with lots of disclaimers that it will
be deprecated in the future) would help to increase WINE popularity as of
now. In addtion, similar workarounds do exist now, but they are: a) tricky,
b) irregular, c) undocumented.