D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 15 13:30:34 CDT 2005

--- Lionel Ulmer <lionel.ulmer at free.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 04:58:00PM +0200, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Just one question about thread safety: The openGL crash I am struggling with
> > seems related to threading:
>
> Ahhhh, you fell again in the (in)famous multi-threaded D3D applications :-)
>
> Alas, for now, this is an unsolved issue for which no clear plan is put in
> place. So I guess it would be best to choose another game to do your DDraw
> => WineD3D port as neither DDraw not WineD3D support (yet) these kind of
> applications.

It fairly easy to make things thread safe and support multiple devices per thread, very roughly
you have to:

Add the OpenGL context to the device structure.
Make a per-device critical section.
Whenever a call is made enter the critical section
Then check that the current active context is the same as the context on the device.
If not then make the device context active.

I wanted to finish state management before making things threadsafe and support multiple devices
per thread.

Oliver.