bug 2398: OpenGL, child windows, and wine

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 16:46:11 CDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:31:07PM +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:24:32PM +0100, Huw D M Davies wrote:
> > It's going to be used to enable OpenGL to draw on dibsections (ie
> > PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP).  The deal is that while you can use a Window as a
> > glx drawable you can't use a Pixmap, so the old drawable Escape
> > wasn't sufficient.  There are some more bits to come, but they'll have
> > to wait until after 0.9.
>
> I hesitated between the two possilibites (but one could imagine that once we
> get GL rendering to DIBs, the poor's man fix for the GL windowed problem
> would be to create DIBs for each GL 'subwindow' and then just BitBlt the DIB
> onto the screen - with Wine handling clipping - each time it is
> necessary)... Probably slow (as I doubt that GLXPixmaps are using any direct
> rendering) but workable.

Yeah, this is for a customer of ours who has the OpenGL in child
windows problem.  The easiest way around this was to get them to
modify their code to draw onto dibsections and blit to the window.
Then all we needed to do was to implement the OpenGL on dibsection
bit.

> Anyway, it will be nice be able to have Civ3 running without it complaining
> about 'unhandled pixel format flag' :-)

That's what /dev/null is for ;-)

Huw.