Linking wine *dll.so libraries with Linux applications ?!

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Wed Oct 19 17:52:12 CDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:05, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> Wednesday, October 19, 2005, 10:47:11 AM, Alexander Efremov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is it possible to link Win32 Wine libraries (*.dll.so) with a Linux
> > application. Suppose we have a simple Linux gcc program main.cc
>
> Yes. It is called winelib application.

Actually, the answer to the original question is "no". It is not possible to
just link the Wine libraries directly into a Linux application - at least not
without additional work. A Winelib application (linked with winegcc) is
itself a library which is loaded by one of the Wine executables (there is a
patch to make Winelib applications into executables in their own right, but
the patch is out of date).

There are a number of mechanisms by which a Linux application might be able to
link directly to Wine libraries, but they all involve something more complex
than the example provided.