Linking wine *dll.so libraries with Linux applications ?!

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 08:12:48 CDT 2005

On 10/20/05, Alexander Efremov <vilgus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually my problem is little bit different. I'm creating a library
> for Linux which utilizes some features of other Linux libraries +
> additionally I wand to utilize the avifil32.dll for the AVI stuff. The
> architecture is somethink like
>
> |Linux Executable| --uses--> |Linux *.a and *.so libraries| +
> + |my Linux *.so library| --uses--> |Other Linux *.a and *.so
> libraries + WineLib avifil32.dll.so|
>
> It's very pitty that we have all the features of Win32 *.dll libraies
> reimplemened for Linux but can't use them without the emulator.

Yeah, but that's the way it is.  Here's what I'd suggest:
write a little Winelib program that offers avifil32
services via Unix domain sockets.  Then make your
Linux library run that program and connect to it
via unix domain sockets.  Voila, problem solved!
Now you just have to figure out a way to split
up your original idea for a library into two halves
connected by a socket, which is a pain but will
at least avoid the hell you're currently in.

You might be tempted to pursue another,
much more ambitious alternative by
making something like 'minwine' analogous to
mingw32, i.e. strip Wine down to the parts that
can just link into a normal linux app.  It would have
to be able to load video codec DLLs to be useful,
which might be difficult.  I wouldn't try this route
if you want to get anything done and usable in
the short term.