Are Visual Basic install problems common?

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 11:58:11 CDT 2005

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Is it common for Visual Basic applications to
> have problems installing under Wine?
I'm not sure about this. The question is: are there some common
installers that are used in VB applications? Or is everybody point and
clicking his own installer?

> Take the recent post by Denis, for instance.
> He's trying to install a fairly complex Visual Basic
> app that uses MDAC, and the installer just
> won't run properly under Wine.  (I've corresponded
> with him privately, and can give more details if
> desired.)
The installers of the most VB applications i have played with installed
fine. One failed though due to bugs in VarCmp() and i think it was
VarDiv(). I have quick fixes for those bugs in my tree but have no time
at the moment to do the correct fixes with test cases and submit them.
But the VB applications i tried where small applications.

> I have this feeling that this isn't an isolated instance.
> Maybe there are hundreds of thousands of  businesses and
> government offices that have large
> collections of VB apps written in-house,
> not yet ported over to VB.NET, which
> they'd like to run under Wine -- but
> they take one look at the trouble they
> have installing, and give up.
Are there any numbers to back this affirmation? My experience with the
couple of small VB applications i tried is that the installer worked
better than the program afterwards.
I have to agree that a good support for VB would be good for the
adoption of Wine as VB seems to be the shell/awk/perl/whatever scripts
of Windows users.

> Does anyone have experience rolling VB (not VB.net) apps
Not me as i do not need Wine; i mean besides having fun hacking on it.
And oleaut32 (used extensively by VB apps) has a lot of low hanging
fruits aka missing features/bugs; to bad i do not have much time for
Wine lately.

> here?  Is it easy to create VB apps that install fine
> under Windows, but not under Wine?

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart