wine / Linux kernel interaction

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 00:17:53 CDT 2005

--- Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> wrote:

> > > So unless you need extra kernel-level
> functionality
> > > or I'm completely
> > > off-track, I don't see why one would need that
> (much
> > > less want that!).
> >
> > Because the scanner, like too many others, is
> > unsupported by SANE.
>
> This makes no sense. What does lack of support in
> SANE have to do with
> development of a kernel module?
>
> Libusb is a userspace library that gives you raw
> access to any usb device.
> Using libusb you're able to accomplish almost
> everything that a kernel driver
> would. Libusb is perfect for devices that are used
> by one application at a
> time.

I've used it before.

> Now, the thing about ReadFile(), WriteFile() and
> DeviceIoControl() in windows
> is that the underlying driver doesn't necessarily
> directly forward those to
> the usb device in question.

Yes it does, look at include/ddk/usbscan.h in mingw32,
or MSDN's STI/WIA documentation, the section on
USBSCAN.SYS. Reading and writing do raw bulk pipe
transfers, ioctl's do specific things: particular
ioctl's (USBSCAN_READ_REGISTERS,
USBSCAN_WRITE_REGISTERS,
USBSCAN_SEND_DEVICE_REQUEST...) build and send control
pipe USB packets. I did implement the kernel module
and it really works, in case I forgot to mention it.