[ World of Warcraft ] The 1.8 Patch brings the target ( or targeting ) problem back

Eddahbi Karim thetemplar at free.fr
Thu Oct 13 19:16:30 CDT 2005

Mike Hearn <mh <at> codeweavers.com> writes:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:16:05 +0000, Eddahbi Karim wrote:
> > Now the mouse problem comes back but the workarounds don't work this
> > time. It's not a regression, it's a bug enhancement.
> >
> > The old workaround for WineX still work according to gentoo-forums [2].
>
> It seems Warcraft relies upon NULL-addressed VirtualAlloc starting
> allocation from above a certain range - possibly they're pulling some
> silly bit-twiddling hack or optimisation. The Cedega patch linked to on
> the forums basically hints to mmap that it should allocate at a fixed
> address in this case:
>
>   http://lists.transgaming.org/pipermail/winex-devel/2004-May/000259.html
>
> Which for WoW they seem to set this hint to 256mb - is there some aspect
> of the NT kernel we're not correctly implementing here? Does Windows
> always allocate from 256mb upwards?

The weird thing here, IMHO, is that the old workaround like switching to 2.6.12
kernels (which did the trick for me), using some "hacked" preloaders (which
didn't do the trick for me) and all [1] don't work this time.

Only the Cedega fix *seems* to work (According to *one* post on the gentoo forum
[2])

If you want some debugging informations, just give me the way to look for them
and I'll give them.

> thanks -mike

Notes :

[1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-390127.html