bug 2398: OpenGL, child windows, and wine

Tobias Burnus burnus at gmx.de
Tue Oct 18 05:09:33 CDT 2005

Hello,

Dan Kegel wrote:
> he suggests using the new GL_EXT_framebuffer_object OpenGL extension.
> I checked around a bit, and it appears to be at least
> partly supported by the latest NVidia and ATI drivers.
>
> I'm tempted to say skip the workaround, at least for
> the first pass, and just implement the real fix using
> the opengl extension.  As Sippel said, people who
> use apps like Lightwave (and maybe Quake3 Radiant :-)
> tend to have the latest 3d hardware and drivers anyway.

I want to point out that there are other applications like
my Diamond (bug 2315, duplicate of 2320; Diamond is a crystal structure
viewer), which are definitly also run on weaker hardware.
And at least a glxinfo |grep -i GL_EXT_frame does not return anything
on my Laptop ("IBM (ATI Radeon) RV250 Lf").
Maybe some solution which works on both high-end systems and on a bit
older systems would be useful. (Implementing maybe conditionally
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object and the work around?)

Tobias

PS: Diamond screen shots:
http://www.crystalimpact.com/diamond/ (Windows w/ openGL)
http://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?appId=1307&versionId= (Wine, no