preload libGL

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat Oct 22 16:21:24 CDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 11:06:14PM +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> I personally would vore for the first option, make opengl a wine
> requirement, we'll soon have opengl integrated into the xserver (Xgl
> etc.) so sooner or later everyone will need to have an opengl
> implementation installed.

Well, trust me on that one, but some times ago, Wine did link directly to
OpenGL. But seeing the number of broken packages (i.e. did not advertise the
GL dependency) and the time spent on bug reports / support requests, it was
decided to move to a run-time link scheme.

And I think there are more people without GL installed (and without even a
clue to what GL is) than one wanting to play pre-link tricks to override GL.

> opengl should be installed per default on all desktop boxes (at least
> through mesa in pure-GPL duistributions that don't want to have any
> proprietary binaries)..

Maybe when it will be really mandatory we can switch back to 'hard' linking.
But for now, I think GL is not yet pre-installed on all distributions and we
will still have to wait a while to get to the Xgl and all other eye-candy
infested stuff they are writing :-)

       Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/