Mystery solved: acoc breaks Wine's configure!

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Oct 23 02:54:09 CDT 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Dan Kegel wrote:
[...]
> Turns the ldd is one wrapped by acoc (http://www.caliban.org/ruby/acoc.shtml)
> which colorizes the output, which also explains the funny escape sequences.
> This error went away when we stopped using acoc to colorize the
> output of commands like ldd.   We had been using acoc-0.5.2,
> but the latest version (0.7.1) also exhibits the problem.

Colorgcc is a tool which colorizes the gcc output and the way it avoids
problems like the above is by detecting if stdout is a tty or not. If
not it does not colorizes and thus you can log compiles or use it with
pipes, redirections or backquotes without getting weird characters. It
seems like acoc should do something similar. Maybe this would be worth
suggesting to them...

                             -- from some indian guy