wine ptrace trouble

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at
Mon Oct 24 01:08:10 CDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Peter Beutner <p.beutner at> wrote:
> hmm it appearently is a kernel/ptrace issue as Marcus Meissner supposed.
> I just tested it on x86 and it works fine, while on x86_64 it doesnt work.
> I will dig a bit further if time permits.
> Just out of curiosity, why does the server continue ptracing after "the work is done",
> instead of just detaching?

I discovered this issue on x86 on linux 2.6.8/9 which led Linus to
fixing by 2.6.11.   Andi Kleen has not ported the patch to x86-64 from
what I know, so wine will still suffer under it  -- ie single stepping
into signal handlers, see mailing list archives.  You need to get your
kernel patched to fix the problem.  I have access to x86-64 systems
now and may be able to help.