Wine regression testing: PIT_

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Wed Oct 26 10:55:52 CDT 2005

* On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
> * Le mercredi 26 octobre 2005 à 16:49 +0200, Molle Bestefich a écrit :
> >
> > The approach is useless however, until these simple fixes are applied
> > to the tarballs (preferably through the versioning system).
>
> How do you decide what things have to be fixed in old tarballs ? Do you
> test each old tarballs every now and then and apply the corresponding
> patches to them ?
>
> What if patching the old tarball cause other regressions ?

If that will be noted on wine-user the mailing list, it could be fixed.

> What if someone wants to use an old tarball in an old system that would
> be broken because of this patching ?

Then that person won't use patching.  Actually, using Molle tactics mean
to patch tarball only when the problems arise.  Such script even may use
some database to collect patches for an old distros and a variety of a
kernels.

Plus it can be a reminder of when user/admin should do configuration using
winecfg, via config file or by editing ~/.wine/system.reg .  Do you think
I still remember, on what year and what month winecfg was introduced?  No
way.  Such stuff should go into some databased feature, IMHO.

That would be like a two or more levels of ./configure. :-)

> You would have to maintain a lot of old tarballs version...
> I don't think it is feasible.

If such patcher-system/script isn't acceptable in the Wine tree, then it
can go as a separate project, named for example Wine2Old, OldWine, etc.
:-P