DirectSound problems - dlls/dsound/mixer.c

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at
Fri Oct 28 10:44:21 CDT 2005

--- Davin McCall <davmac at> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to sort out sound problems with StarCraft and have made some progress by hacking
> around with the "dlls/dsound/mixer.c" file. I'm new to Wine hacking however, and there's some
> things in the code which I don't understand (and others which seem blatantly wrong).
There are more problems with Mixer.

I've been getting some deadlocks in the mixer code with games like

Blink video uses two threads to smoothly switch between videos, sometimes I'll get a dead lock
where the mixer threads are waiting for another thread that doesn't seem to exist any more. The
problem sometimes shows up in  winmm/time.c TIME_MMSysTimeCallback as a invalid TIME_TimersList,
it seems like something's not being cleaned up properly.

I've got some more notes on the problem kicking around somewhere.