Migrate website documentation to the Wiki

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 05:39:02 CDT 2005

Jeremy Newman wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > Jeremy Newman wrote:
> > > Just wanted to make my point that it would be crazy to loose all the
> > > useful features that SGML provides.
> >
> > MoinMoin 1.3.5 supports DocBook parsing and generation.

And if that's not good enough, there's another solution:
Store the docs in XML, only convert them to SGML as part of the
process of converting them to {PS,PDF,HTML}.

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but in practical terms, that's
probably the best way to use SGML today, given all the XML tools that
exist?

> Jumping from our current process is not something that will happen overnight.

My believe is that if you show the attitude that you really want to do
the Best Thing, and if you can provide a way for the process to take
action in bite-size pieces of work, there'll be plenty of volunteers
standing ready to do the actual work.  Hope I'm not coming off
provocative.

> We need to weigh all the possibilities here.
> My first reaction is "No way Dude".

Ok.  I stumbled upon a quite interesting posting by Jay Levitt that
I'd like to direct your attention at:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/68571/

I'll quote teasers:
"you shouldn't try to think of a wiki as just a webby way to edit and
commit doc patches."

..."a wiki engine that flags any given version of the page as
'reviewed'; if the last editor was not on the commit list, it could
say 'This page has not yet been formally reviewed.  Click *here* for
the last approved revision.'"

But please read the entire posting as it says much more that seems
very appropriate to this discussion.

(Skip the first quote + paragraph though ;-).)

(The original posting in that thread is here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/68402/
and may or may not be needed as context.)