D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 13:54:04 CDT 2005

--- "H. Verbeet" <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:

> > One other Question: How slow is DrawStridedSlow? WineD3D uses it because of
> > the diffuse ans specular colors. Currently I get only one useable vertex into
> > DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB from ProcessVertices, the other 5 to draw have their
> > values zeroed. Without drawing anything I get 70 fps(screen refresh rate,
> > expected), with the 6 Vertices I get 1.5 fps. Is this normal for
> > DrawStridedSlow()? Might this be because of drawing 2 triangles with useless
> > vertices? Or might something else be wrong?

There will be an even bigger difference when vertex buffer objects are used.

> On the subject of drawStridedSlow / color fixups, something I was
> wondering about is how feasible it would be to use vertex shaders to
> fix the colors. I guess it would require reimplementing pretty much
> the entire fixed function pipeline as shaders.
That was my plan, the shader needs to performs all the vertex transforms as well as the colour
fixups. I aleady got some software fixup code for people without shaders

I also don't know what
> the impact would be on performance, but I seem to remember reading
> somewhere that modern gfx cards don't have a real fixed function
> pipeline anymore and that the drivers use the programmable pipeline to
> implement much of that functionality anyway. I've got no idea how
> reliable that claim is though.
The impact shouldn't be too high, and once the shaders been written it can be cached, TG seem to
be getting reasonable performance from softare using JIT complication of shaders.

Does your mail provider give you FREE antivirus protection?
Get Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com