D3D7 -> WineD3D, 2nd attempt

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 29 14:42:48 CDT 2005

--- Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hello,
> I think I got the DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB going now(my tracing suggests this),
> and now I've hit ProcessVertices(). As someone mentioned allready, this is a
> complex call, and it isn't implemented in DX7, DX8 or WineD3D.
>
> This call does some Vertex Transformation, and depending on the App's
> requests, Lightning and other things. This is some math thing that is done in
> Software(According to msdn). On DX8 and DX9 this call is slightly different,
> and it looks like vertex shaders come into play.
>
> Does anyone know any free library which implements something like this, or any
> internet sources on the math behind this? I haven't found anything useable
> with google. If I can't find anything, I'll have a look in my university's
> library.

It may be possible to use the feedback buffer and get OpenGL to do all the work
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/opengl/glfunc02_3m42.asp.

The majority of the math is fairly simple matrix transforms, OpenGL extensions usually have all
the math required. http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/

> One other Question: How slow is DrawStridedSlow? WineD3D uses it because of
> the diffuse ans specular colors. Currently I get only one useable vertex into
> DrawIndexedPrimitiveVB from ProcessVertices, the other 5 to draw have their
> values zeroed. Without drawing anything I get 70 fps(screen refresh rate,
> expected), with the 6 Vertices I get 1.5 fps. Is this normal for
> DrawStridedSlow()? Might this be because of drawing 2 triangles with useless
> vertices? Or might something else be wrong?

1.5fps seems very slow, even for DrawStridedSlow but DrawStridedSlow will be superseded as soon as
the colour fixups are in place.

Oliver..