Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike: Source under Wine

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Sat Oct 29 18:32:56 CDT 2005

I have single player HL2 running decent. Not quite excellent, but
playable. Try running steam with this command:

WINEDEBUG="-all" wine steam.exe

And you should get anywhere from 10-30 FPS. It's not the best in the
world, but at least you can play. :) I have started a new game, and I am
now in the beginning of the car sequence, and aside from some textures
being lit up and the flashlight not working, it's pretty nice. But,
beware of problems with pixel shaders. The make CS and HL2 deathmatch
totally useless (they give a white screen in menu. It's not frozen, but
you can't see anything.) I don't see that behavior with single player
because of the animated menus. Plus, pixel shaders screw things up big
time anyway. It inverts colors and makes it look like NPCs are holding
tree trunks. I'll put up some shots up later so you can see what I mean.

James