Wine regression testing: PIT_

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Oct 30 03:25:50 CST 2005

* On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
> * Le mercredi 26 octobre 2005 à 16:49 +0200, Molle Bestefich a écrit :
> >
> > We actually /ask/ people to do regression testing, here f.x.:
> > http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/winedev-guide/x1344 to find a patch
> > that breaks things.  Some developers has probably recommended that
> > approach on the mailing lists too, I know I have.
> >
> > The approach is useless however, until these simple fixes are applied
> > to the tarballs (preferably through the versioning system).
>
> Instead of appliying new patches to old versions which is unmaintainable
> imho, we could have VMWare installs of Wine and people could download
> the VMWare image of any Wine release and play it for free using the
> VMWare player !
>
> I guess the download size will be quite big, but a small distro with
> only X, Wine, Gnome and KDE and required dependencies for example could
> fit on half a CD I guess.

One more (nice) way could be to run all the tested stuff (inside VMWare
player?) on some remote X (?) server, so people should not download
several large ISOs to test small software (instead they would upload small
test-software packages into the server).  But I start feeling this would
require not a less amount of bandwidth too, so YMMV. :)