Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike: Source under Wine

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sun Oct 30 18:13:01 CST 2005

> Try disabling pixel shaders in winecfg to get around that. They never
> did work for me. I tried to use them yesterday with HL2 to get some
> screenshots, and they froze my computer. If you're lucky enough to even
> star a game using them, they mess things up anyway.

Alternatively, you could try filing bug reports for the problems you
experience, rather than working around them. If no bug reports are
filed, nothing will get fixed. Anyway, I see that the patch from Oliver
which implements pixel shaders hasn't been merged yet, which might
explain why they aren't working...

>> Visually, I would say it looks better than I recall getting from
>> Cedega.  The textures on the monoliths were always plain and flat when I
>> was running Cedega.  I'm tempted to renew my Cedega subscription to make
>> sure I'm remembering right.
>>
> Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never been a fan of Cedega, so I say to
> hell with it. I would stick with free WINE. ;-)

...and yet you have no problem making use of the Transgaming ActiveX
control, which contains Microsoft DLL(s) within?