KERNEL: force copying of DOS-style path into argv[0] of PE process

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Mon Oct 31 12:16:09 CST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:08:36 -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
>

>>This is a patch to fix the primary bug on DungeonKeeper. I am surprised
>>this bug was overlooked up to 0.9, since this is such a basic
>>characteristic of Windows.
>>

>I think the conclusion last time we looked at this was that this is
>actually a characteristic of Explorer, not Windows, and so it's really
>caused by the fact that most Wine users run the apps from the command line
>not via the shortcuts. If you run Dungeon Keeper in the wrong way from the
>command line in Windows it'll crash too IIRC.
>
>thanks -mike

Sorry to disagree, but I have seen this behavior (fully qualified name
in argv[0]) since MS-DOS and Windows 3.1. Even some old C tutorial books
mention it in passing. I have also replicated this behavior from the
command line (COMMAND.COM) in MS-Windows 98 in a DOS box, without using
Explorer. My sample app prints out the argv[] array and it consistenly
shows a fully qualified path to the executable in argv[0], even when run
from a DOS box.

Alex Villacís Lasso