KERNEL: force copying of DOS-style path into argv[0] of PE process (was: Re: Queries about some 'usability' points) - partially fixes #3542

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:55:12 CST 2005

On 10/31/05, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:08:36 -0500, Alex Villací­s Lasso wrote:
> > This is a patch to fix the primary bug on DungeonKeeper. I am surprised
> > this bug was overlooked up to 0.9, since this is such a basic
> > characteristic of Windows.
>
> I think the conclusion last time we looked at this was that this is
> actually a characteristic of Explorer, not Windows, and so it's really
> caused by the fact that most Wine users run the apps from the command line
> not via the shortcuts. If you run Dungeon Keeper in the wrong way from the
> command line in Windows it'll crash too IIRC.

This is a quite interesting theory.  So I went ahead and tried to
launch LogicWorks with a "windows" method in wine, and well, I've
failed so far with wine's ProgMan.exe.  The progman crashes anyway
I've tried.

So I boot to windows and try logicworks from cmd.exe.  Indeed, I hit
the same bug as in wine.  So what we have are programs that expect a
certain behavior and the command line doesn't do it.  Bad design.

So could we have a program or launcher in wine to launch programs the
"windows" way?

Jesse