DirectSound problems - dlls/dsound/mixer.c

Davin McCall davmac at davmac.org
Mon Oct 31 21:03:57 CST 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:29:25 +0000
Randall Walls <rwalls at gwi.net> wrote:

> Scratch that.... after spending about an hour playing Battlezone 2
> tonight (with patch applied) I noticed that certain sounds (mainly
> sounds longer than a few seconds) would exhibit a strange problem with
> the last .5 seconds of the clip repeating for a random number of times.

Sounds like a buffer underrun. No pun intended.

ALSA is a strange beast; I'm still trying to figure out if my patch increases the likelihood of underruns. It depends on the semantics of some ALSA functions which aren't terribly well documented. I'm joining the ALSA developers mailing list to try and get some answers.

(You are using the ALSA driver, by the way? With hardware "acceleration" turned on?)

> The only console messages are the same as I noted before. I can run a
> trace if it would be beneficial for you.

Don't worry about it for now. There may well be a second version of the patch forthcoming fairly soon.

Davin