Suggestions for improvement of the emulator

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Sep 6 08:26:49 CDT 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Robert Lunnon wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 19:20, Francois Gouget wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Troy Rollo wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Having to pipe all the changes through one person limits scalability.
[...]
> I must disagree,  the LOTM (Lord Of The Manor) governance model may work for
> an small outfit but wine has already outgrown it. I have two or three
> withheld patches which are absolute show stoppers for running wine under
> Solaris. They are withheld despite the fact they work because they were
> refused,

So you're saying that Alexandre is wrong to refuse your patches, not
that he is overloaded and drops patches so often that it limits Wine's
growth.

Then adding more committers would not help. (unless you play one
committer against the other to get your patches accepted)

The way forward is to dig up the patches that were rejected, post them
to wine-devel with the reason that was given for their rejection
(because you asked why they were rejected, right?), and ask for
suggestions on how to make them more acceptable.

> yet every second week I am forced to work around some portability
> problem introduced by someone else - not exactly ISO9001 quality assurance.

I don't see a way around that. Only users of a given platform can detect
compatibility or compilation problems with that platform. We cannot
expect Alexandre, or every single committer in a multi-committer system,
to test on every single platform out there before each commit. Even on
Linux we sometimes get compilation problems with weird libxml libraries,
opengl issues, old compilers, new compilers, etc.

I'll grant you that we could possibly setup a TinderBox type of system
but I feel that would be very overkill right now and even TinderBox can
only detect problems after patches get committed.

                          Stolen from an Internet user:
               "f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng !"