Empire Earth continued

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sun Sep 11 14:21:24 CDT 2005

> *Windows increases the refcount of the DirectDraw7 object by 1 when a surface
> is created. When the surface is released, the refcount of the DirectDraw7
> object is decreased, obviously. Wine doesn't do so(yet), and to my current
> knowledge, this is what makes Empire Earth crash.

Yeah, this is what I suspected: that Wine had some reference counting
differences with Windows that provoked this error.

Best would be to write a 'DDraw' test (integrated in the test suite) to be
able to check reference counting in some 'standard' cases (surface creation,
D3D object creation, ...).

> I am looking for a good place to place the AddRef and Release calls to solve
> the first issue, and I'll send a patch as soon as I have one.

Well, as we call a DDraw 'method' to create the surface, you should add the
AddRef call there. For the release, it should be in the 'final_release' call
for the surface (AFAIK, each surface already stores a pointer to its parent
DDraw object).

         Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/