OOo2.0beta2 installer crashes wine-20050830 in MultiByteToWideChar in msi_process_pending_messages

Dan Kegel dank at
Mon Sep 12 09:04:51 CDT 2005

Mike McCormack wrote:
>> Here's a log of wine-20050830 crashing while running the
>> setup.exe in the directory created by unpacking
> The attached patch (hack) should fix the problem.
> We load a dll in a thread (in an MSI custom action), and that dll does a
> SendMessageTimeout(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_WININICHANGE, .., &ptr, ...), then
> exits, and our thread unloads the dll.
> user32.SendMessageTimeoutA(0000ffff,0000001a,0000002a,62840730,00000002,00000000,00000000)
> ret=6282b827
> By the time our GUI receives the broadcast message, the pointer in the
> message is invalid, and the message marshalling code accesses it and
> crashes.
> So we need to figure out whether we need to delay unloading of the dll
> until we have a chance to process all the messages or whether the
> message marshalling code needs to be fixed.

That let it complete the install!
Thanks, Mike!

Now the app comes up ok, but is unusable.
I'll post about that problem separately.

Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See