fix if's that are followed by semicolons

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd+wine at
Tue Sep 20 03:31:30 CDT 2005

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > Could you perhaps create a first version of a shell script tools/find_gotchas ?
> I have other things to do at the moment, so go ahead if you're feeling
> motivated.  I suspect you'll run into alot of false positives.  There
> might be a compiler switch to turn on warnings for these things too (ie.
> statements with no effect).

Gcc-4.0 catches this:

    erikd at miles > cat test.c
    int main (void)
        if (0)  ;
        return 0 ;
    erikd at miles > gcc-4.0 -W -Wall test.c -o /dev/null
    test.c: In function 'main':
    test.c:3: warning: empty body in an if-statement

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"It is capitalist America that produced the modern independent woman.
Never in history have women had more freedom of choice in regard to
dress, behavior, career, and sexual orientation."
-- Camille Paglia