IDE disk geometry

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Tue Sep 20 20:22:42 CDT 2005

Tuesday, September 20, 2005, 6:11:49 PM, Michael Ost wrote:
> Any suggestions for a good "wineish" way to implement an IOCTL_ call for
> an IDE disk?
Use SCSI ioctls I think they should work on IDE drives as well.

> I have some code that reads geometry information out of
> /proc/ide/hd?/geometry that is working fine. But I am not sure how to
> integrate it into ntdll.
This is not portable. Does it really need to know geometry? Could you just tell
it some fake stuff?

> Should I put my code in CDROM_DeviceIoControl? Or handle it in
> NtDeviceIoControlFile? Should I pass all other IoControlCodes except
> IOCTL_DISK_DRIVE_GET_GEOMETRY for a verifiable IDE drive on to the
> CDROM_... function?
I don't it make any sense to create the whole new file to parse just one IOCTL.
So you might just add it to the cdrom.c I think that might get accepted.

> Thanks for any help. Patch against wine-20050419 is attached for
> illustrative purposes. ... mo
No this will not work. You can't add your function at front of what's there.
This will slow down and add unnecessary fixmis. For onw IOCTL you might as well
put into the cdrom.c

But before you go too far, pleas look at kernel/oldconfig.c. It does some
parsing of /proc already. So all you need to do is to find where this
information is stored on windows (it has to be somewhere in registry) and add to
that. Then you don't need to parse /proc all the time but just read info from
the registry. One possible option would be to use IOCTL_SCSI_GET_INQUIRY_DATA to
get the hdd info. I think it does work on IDE HDDs. And as I remember it has the
info you need. And also all that info stored in registry as well.

Vitaliy