listview: infoPtr might be invalid after WM_NOTIFY

Dimi Paun dimi at
Tue Sep 20 22:32:38 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 00:11 +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong (I know absolutely nothing about how the
> listview code works) but a flaw of the 'exception based' solution
> would be if the application allocated memory that would re-use the
> just freed memory pointed by 'infoPtr'.

This is true only if we rely on the access violation exception
(which is a possibility, I admit). But the test patch that I sent
checked the hwnd after each notify message with IsWindow(), and
if invalid it was throwing a custom exception.

So no, it does not suffer from the flaw that you mentioned.

Dimi Paun <dimi at>
Lattica, Inc.