Documentation volunteer(s) needed

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:40:14 CDT 2005

On 9/23/05, josephblack <josephhenryblack at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> I had planned to use it to update the documentation, but keeping up
> with the lists has kept me busy.
>
> After some discussion, Jason (the owner) has confirmed he would like to
> raise an offer of wine-wiki.org and its contents to the Wine project.

First off, there's a lot of useful info in that wiki.  It obvious a
lot of time has gone into it.

However, I really don't see the point of having that wiki and I think
it has the potential to do more harm than good.  If there's one thing
Wine and the rest of the community has proven over and over, it's that
we can't maintain documentation.  I'd (almost) argue its best to have
no documentation than completely incorrect docs.

I realize that wiki came into existence before Wine's own, but now
that we have one I think some of that info needs to migrate to
wiki.winehq.org.  Maintaining two distinct wikis is overkill and
confusing for people looking for info.  Furthermore, the wine-wiki.org
has a huge section on applications that's best suited for the AppDB.
The info there directly competes with the AppDB and we shouldn't
attempt to maintain two places with differing info.

I hope that doesn't sound like a case of Not-Invented-Here syndrome,
but we need to focus on making maintenance easy so that there's a
chance it might actually get done.  I certainly don't want to deter
anyone from working on Wine - any and all contributions are greatly
appreciated.

-Brian