Problem with D3D9 CreateDevice

Mark Hatsell mark.hatsell at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 28 17:42:30 CDT 2005

"Oliver Stieber" <oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:20050928194419.37697.qmail at web26204.mail.ukl.yahoo.com...

> I believe all top level windows should have a valid visual ID.
>
> Can you tell me what your passing in as the creation parameters, if your
> creating a window and
> using it's HWND when creating a device or expecting DirectX 9 to create
> the device for you, and if
> your application is MDI or not.

The window is created prior to the CreateDevice call but is not yet shown.
It has the following Window Styles and Extended Styles:

WS_CAPTION
WS_CHILDWINDOW
WS_VISIBLE
WS_CLIPSIBLINGS
WS_CLIPCHILDREN
WS_SYSMENU
WS_THICKFRAME
WS_MINIMIZEBOX
WS_MAXIMIZEBOX

WS_EX_LEFT
WS_EX_LTRREADING
WS_EX_RIGHTSCOLLBAR
WS_EX_MDICHILD
WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE

My application is an MDI application and the Direct3D window is an MDI
child. I have found that the mfctex sample in the DirectX SDK also stops
with this error.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks
Mark