headless question, and IPC question

Ken Larson x1 at larsontechnologies.com
Fri Sep 30 03:56:23 CDT 2005

Well I am actually using a command-line with CL to compile it, but it
was true that I had a WinMain instead of main.

I've changed the WinMain to main, but this doesn't seem to be the issue.

The issue appears to be initializing winsock.  The following simple main
program, when compiled with CL, and run with wine, requires an X display:

#include <windows.h>
#include <winsock.h>

int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
         WORD sockVersion;
         WSADATA wsaData;

         sockVersion = MAKEWORD(1, 1);

         WSAStartup(sockVersion, &wsaData);

}

Remove the call to WSAStartup, and the program requires no X display.

As I said, I know winsock uses hidden windows handles to do some things,
  which is pretty ugly architecturally.  However, it seems like it
should be possible to not have a display in this case.  any ideas?

I do like the idea of using winelib and having my wrapper be compiled
under linux in winelib, but the proprietary DLL I am using also uses
winsock so I would expect to have the same problem.

Thanks,

Ken