Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Sun Apr 2 13:57:28 CDT 2006

Mike Hearn <mike at> writes:

> I'm not sure it counts as easy. At least Fedora and SUSE already have an
> LSM module loaded, for SELinux and AppArmor respectively. Some solution
> based on making wineserver suid root might work but I didn't get anywhere
> when I played with that.

You're missing the point. The problem is not "how can we bypass system
protections?", the problem is "how can we achieve what we want without
having to bypass anything?". These things are restricted to root
precisely because they can screw up the system, and that's not a power
we want to give to random Win32 apps. What we need is a mechanism that
is safe enough to be enabled by default on all systems, without
requiring suid root or similar hacks.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at