XVidMode is required for Gamma Control

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 13:36:51 CDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Stefan Dösinger <stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hm. How does that interact with XRandr? There are still mouse grab issues in
> some games(half-life comes to mind), often because games do not care to grab
> the mouse. In this case using XVidMode will cause the mouse to leave the
> window, which is really disturbing.
>
> But if XRandr will still be used for screen resolution setup, than this is
> fine.

Ok, this is what I figured out:

Under these conditions:
Full screen game
No virtual desktop
DXGrab = Y
UseXRandR = Y
UseXVidMode = Y
1024x768 res, 1280x1024 virtual res

The mouse cursor stays in window.  XRandR seems preferred over
XVidMode for managing res.

Under these conditions:
Full screen game
No virtual desktop
DXGrab = Y
UseXRandR = N
UseXVidMode = Y
1024x768 res, 1280x1024 virtual res

The mouse cursor doesn't stay in the window.  XVidMode is used in this case.

I hope these are acceptible results. These are with my patch applied
of course. I didn't try without DXGrab.  I dunno if it's deprecated or
not.

Jesse