richedit20: Implement EM_FORMATRANGE

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Tue Apr 4 18:06:30 CDT 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 00:46, Phil Krylov wrote:
> This is only true for RichEdit 2.0 - later versions have better table
> support, while our current implementation is approximately at 2.0 level.

Perhaps, but the problem of CHARRANGE being insufficient to describe the start
and end of rendering for a table remains.

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 00:16, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi Troy,
> any chance you can also provide a conformance test,
> however trivial?

Not a meaningful one - too many things depend on environment
(LOGPIXELSX/LOGPIXELSY, font availability, font rendering differences due to
different font engines, versions of font engines, configuration of font
engines).

> I gather that some but not all apps will also require EM_DISPLAYBAND
> to make use of this, right?  Just curious.)

Some will, maybe, but with this change some of those apps will be improved in
because they will not get stuck in a loop. EM_DISPLAYBAND is somewhat
anachronistic though and apps get no significant benefit from using it over
rendering with EM_FORMATRANGE. In theory EM_DISPLAYBAND may improve
efficiency of printing to some types of printers, in practice the difference
is not worth worrying about.

Troy Rollo - wine at troy.rollo.name